[R] Help: partial.cor significance test

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Oct 26 14:15:33 CEST 2005

Dear Simon,

The population partial correlation rho[12|3...p] is 0 when the regression
coefficient beta[2] for x[2] from the regression of x[1] on x[2] ... X[p] is
0. Thus, the usual t-test for a regression coefficient also tests that the
partial correlation is 0.

Now, the sample partial correlation r[12|3...p] = t/sqrt(t^2 + dfe)) where
dfe = n - p is the degrees of freedom for error and t is the t-statistic for
testing that beta[2] is 0, and thus t = sqrt(dfe*r^2[12|3...p]/(1 -
r^2[12|3...p])), so it is easy to compute the (unsigned) t-statistics from
the partial correlations.

Why one would want to do this, however, is another matter. What would one do
with a matrix of 2-sided p-values?

Regards,
 John

John Fox