[R] Building Rmysql Source in Windows XP: DLLTOOL can't find DEF file

mark.lopresti@thomson.com mark.lopresti at thomson.com
Tue Oct 25 22:47:19 CEST 2005

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding building the Rmysql packages from source in
Windows.

I am currently using:   Windows XP, R-2.2.0, Mysql 3.23

I have installed all of the tools from Installation and Administration
and after following all the instructions to the letter, I compiled the
binary and installed R 2.2.0 from source with no issues.  This is the
first time I have compiled the source R and the first time I have
attempted building a package from source.

When I read all of the RMySQL docs for creating the packages from
source, (Installation and Admin and all the 'readme' docs in the package
itself), there really seem to be only 2 basic instructions:
1) Ensure the paths are correct in src/Makevars.win
2) re-import the DLL
3) and then build.

I ensure that my paths are correct in the src/Makevars.win file and then
the 2nd part of the instructions discusses "re-importing" the
libmysql.dll.

However, when I use the Dlltool in the correct Mysql directory
(c:\mysql\lib\opt) as directed, an error occurs below:

                   "dlltool: can't open the def file: Libmysql.def"

The "libmysql.def" file is located in the "c:\mysql\include\" directory
where PKG-CPPFLAGS is pointing.

Question (1)------------ Do you know of why this is occurring and how
can I solve it?
I could not find any documentation in Google or in the archives
regarding this error.

Then finally, the last instructions uses "Rcmd build -binary RMySQL".
Question (2)------------ In what directory is this windows command line
given?  Under R/src/gnuwin32/?

Thank you so much for your time and any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Best,

Mark

Mark A. LoPresti