[R] Dunn's post hoc test

IAIN GALLAGHER iaingallagher at btopenworld.com
Mon Oct 17 21:29:38 CEST 2005

Thanks for your reply Hank. It's not really what I'm
after (though it's good to know).

For the test ( as described in Statistics for the
Biosciences by W. Gardiner. Prentice Hall, 1997) I
have to rank my groups, calculate the average rank,
then subtratc each average rank from every other. Any
value greater than the test statistic is significant.

eg average rank difference table:

   2     5     8    9
---|------------------
2  -     3     6    7

5  -     -     3    4

8  -     -     -    1

9  -     -     -    -

I can't get my head around writing an algorithm for
this if I have a vector of average ranks eg averank<-
c(2,5,8,9).

I know I can address the vector by index and that this
is probably the correct route but I can't get the
indexing algorithm right!

I'm sure someone will point out somethng simple and
I'll kick myself but the help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Iain Gallagher

--- "Martin Henry H. Stevens" <HStevens at MUOhio.edu>