[R] ISO R-programming docs/refs

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Mon Oct 17 15:01:45 CEST 2005

   Hi

   I do not make "programs" in R to be available for others to use. But I
   **do**  analyse data and make some conclusions from such analysis. And
   if  I  have  to analyse the same data every (day, week, month, year) I
   prepare  a "program" (function or several functions) to be able in few
   strokes or in batch mode to do my whole analysis repeatedly.

   I find documentation provided and suggested quite satisfactory and, if
   I am lost, I always can ask this list.

   So if you want to do programs for others I do not have opinion and you
   need not read the rest of this.

   But if the second aspect is what you want, (you have data and you want
   to do an analysis) I am pretty sure that you just missed the basics of
   data manipulation in R.

   I learned BASIC (quite long ago), used punched paper tapes for storing
   data  and did some programming in various languages (although I am not
   a  programmer)  and the main difference I perceive is extensive use of
   operations  on  whole  objects  in  R. Forget to do for-next cycle for
   simple filling some data vector or matrix (at least most of the time).

   read  data  ->  modify,  subset  them  -> issue a build in or prepared
   function  and  store results in some object -> use another function on
   this  object  to  find out some other features of the object or simply
   make some plotting....etc.

   So  you  need  to  learn  the  language  and  bear  in  mind that many
   statistical  analysis is pre-programmed in it and its packages. But it
   of course depends on if you really want to learn it or not.

   If you don't nobody can help you.

   I found particularly useful:

   zoonek2.free.fr/UNIX/48_R/02.html

   www.ku.edu/~pauljohn/R/Rtips.html

   www.psych.upenn.edu/~baron/refcard.pdf

   Using R for Data Analysis and Graphics

   Introduction, Code and Commentary

   J H Maindonald

   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/R/sk/books_usingr.htm

   And of course many other specific documentation, mentioned in CRAN.

   Best regards

   Petr