[R] Need help on ARIMA (time series analysis)

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Oct 16 22:42:53 CEST 2005

	  Have you received a reply to this post?  I have not seen one.  If you
would still like some suggestions from this group, please provide more
detail on your question, as requested in the posting guide
(www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html), including which version of R
under which operating system.

	  If I understand your post, you have two questions:  (1) the error
message and (2) the need for a loop.

	  Regarding the error message, I can not replicate it.  The message
suggests a series that is nonstationary.  However, I don't get that
message from 'arima(1:50, order=c(1,0,1))', which is clearly
nonstationary.  What's in the file "C:\\R\\arima.R"?  Can you replicate
the error without using a "source" command?

	  Regarding the need for a loop, I'm sorry, but I don't know enough
about time series in R to answer your question.  I'm currently studying
Venables and Ripley (2002) Modern Applied Statistics with S, 4th ed.
(Springer), ch. 14.  If you are not familiar with this book, I highly
recommend it.  Ch. 14 is on time series.  If you would like more
comments on your question regarding a loop, I suggest you rephrase your
question in terms of a standard example like "lh", fitting to, e.g.,
windows of length 30 in this series of 48 observations, explaining also
very briefly what you are trying to accomplish with the loop.

	  spencer graves

park wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am so novice in using R. I have some problems in my R script below
> which fits time series data and predict it one-step ahead.  Here is a
> brief explanation on what I try to achieve
>
> Th16k is time series data (500 data points). The size of window for
> fitting and predicting is 50 (data points). As you can easily discover
> from my code,  (fixed) window is moving/sliding to get next one-step
> ahead prediction. The predicted value will be saved in pth.
>
> The problem is,  every time I execute following script, I got error
> saying
>

>>source("C:\\R\\arima.R")
>
> Error in arima(temp, order = c(1, 0, 1)) :
>         non-stationary AR part from CSS
>
> I think there should be better way to achieve this goal without using
> for loop.  If you can share your knowledge, please advise me!!! :-)
>
> <-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------------------------->
> w <- 50
> pth <- th16k[1:w]