[R] How to get to the varable in a list

Hank Stevens HStevens at muohio.edu
Sun Oct 16 13:32:50 CEST 2005

Hi Lisa,
Try the following -- there are probably better solutions, but these seem
to work.
Hank Stevens
Miami University
Oxford, OH, USA

a <- vector("list",3)
names(a) <- 1:3
a[[1]] <- data.frame(x1=3,x2=1)
a[[2]] <- data.frame(x1=c(3,3),x2=c(2,2))

a[[3]] <- data.frame(x1=c(3,3), x2=c(3,3))

unlist(sapply(a, function(x) x$x1 ))
unlist(sapply(a, function(x) x[,1] ))