[R] TRAMO-SEATS confusion?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Oct 15 23:41:17 CEST 2005

Erin,

On 15 October 2005 at 15:53, Erin Hodgess wrote:
| When looking at the previous postings regarding TRAMO-SEATS,
| I am somewhat puzzled.
|
| Is it true that we CANNOT replicate TRAMO-SEATS because of
| licensing or ownership issues, please?

Could you please

i)  define 'replicate', and

ii) cite any licenses to back up this claim, or simply show us what you
    find so confusing.

I suspect that you are misinterpreting this, and that tramo-seats is indeed
"simply" closed-source software that you can get re-distributed in binary
form (e.g. from the gretl website, see below), but not in source.

| If not, would anyone be interested in an R version of it, please?

A couple of years ago I toyed with both the US Census' X12-ARIMA procedure
and its tramo-seats alternative by Maravall et al.  Given how atrociously
'1960s' the X12-ARIMA interface is, I toyed with building an R frontend given
that you get the Fortran code to X12-ARIMA straight from the Census site .
But then something else came up and I never pursued this ...

The closest I know to using x12 and/or tramo-seats from somewhat saner and
more modern software is via Allin Cottrell's gretl (cf http://gretl.sf.net).
And per my suggestion a few years back, Allin even hacked a 'gretl to R'
interface [ via mucking with ~/.Rprofile which isn't pretty but that is
another story ... ]

Hope this helps,  Dirk

| Thanks,
| Sincerely,
| Erin Hodgess
| Associate Professor
| Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
| University of Houston - Downtown
| mailto: hodgess at gator.uhd.edu

Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
         -- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'