[R] shell scripts in R

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Fri Oct 14 01:28:14 CEST 2005

Le 13 Octobre 2005 18:39, Benedict P. Barszcz a écrit :
> Dnia piątek, 14 października 2005 00:13, Sundar Dorai-Raj napisał:
> > Don't you mean system("ls")? See ?system.
> >
> > Arguments:
> >
> > command: the system command to be invoked, as a string.
>
> This is the kind of obstacles a newbie has to overcome. Whoeve is writing
> the documentation for R, please do not attempt to save on bytes. Life would
> be so much more pleasureable.... if only it would say "as a quoted string".
> Jee.

In 'system(ls)', 'ls' would be any object, whereas in 'system("ls")', it is a
string. Specifying "quoted string" would be redundant. (True R wizard can
correct me if I,m not accurate.)

When I first encountered R's man pages, I thought they were rather sparse
compared to those of S-Plus. Now I find they are just to the point and so
much easier to consult!

--
  Vincent Goulet, Professeur agrégé
  École d'actuariat