[R] high resolution images for publication

Marc Schwartz (via MN) mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Fri Oct 14 00:33:22 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 15:20 -0600, Chris Buddenhagen wrote:
> Dear all

> I am using R to produce ordinations library(vegan) and the plot function
> produced looks great on the screen but when I send it to jpg or pdf or eps
> the resolution is not so good. Can you tell me how to get high resolution
> images out of R for publication?

It would be helpful to see the actual code that you are using, as is
asked for in the Posting Guide.

For publication, it would be rare to want to use a bitmapped format such
as jpg/png.

pdf and eps are vector based formats and would be generally preferred
over the above.

I can only hazard a guess to consider that perhaps your height and width
arguments for pdf() and/or postscript() are not set properly, as there
are no other resolution based settings for those formats. By design, the
output resolution is target device dependent.

Please provide the code that you are using and we can respond with more
specific guidance.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz