[R] greek symbols using pch

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Mon Oct 10 04:34:57 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 12:02 +1000, FISCHER, Matthew wrote:

> Hi R-users,
>
>     In a plot, can I specify pch to be a greek symbol? (I looked at
> show.pch() in the Hmisc package but couldn't see the right symbols in there).
> If not, I guess I can get around this using text(x,y,expression()).
>
> cheers!,
>
> Matt.

You will need to use text() in order to plot greek characters as
plotting symbols.

The 'pch' argument (or par("pch")) must be a single character or an
integer specifying one of the symbols as seen in ?points or as you noted
in Frank's show.pch().

See ?plotmath for more information on plotting mathematical expressions.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz