[R] how to control ticks in plots with yasp or xasp

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 8 19:21:50 CEST 2005

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005, Denis Chabot wrote:

> Hi, sorry about the bad syntax, though the right syntax would not have worked
> either, according to your tests (Mark, Brian, Peter).

It DOES work according to my tests!  (Do give us the credit for testing
our advice:  we would appreciate your showing equal care.)

> Anyway it is too finicky, I will draw them myself. For instance,
>
> plot(1:100, xaxt="n")
> par(xaxp=c(0, 100, 10))  # the value is reset at each plot
> axis(1)
>
> Placed tick marks at intervals at 0, 10, ..., 100, as expected, but did not
> place a label under 100...

Does for me (2.2.0, Windows and X11 on Linux).  Might the text be clipped
on your unnamed device, so you need to set xpd?  (If so, it will be
clipped however you try to do this, and is an unrelated local problem.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk