[R] Text in Boxes?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 16:22:17 CEST 2005

On 7 Oct 2005, at 23:50, Jim Lemon wrote:

> Have a look at the plotrix package, particularly "textbox" and
> "boxed.labels". I would like to know if there are any enhancements
> you could suggest, as I am close to uploading the next version.

Great, that's what I needed.

thigmophobe.labels would have been even better, but too bad it
doesn't combine with boxed.labels.

Also, for boxed.labels I wonder why the parameter for the color is
"col" instead of "bg" - because with "col", I'd like to set the color
of the text, which I have to do with a par(col= ...) before the call
to boxed.labels right now.

For the padding, I suggest extra parameters that allow padding
independent of the width/height of the box to allow for a constant
padding of, say, 2pt.

Thanks also to Jari Oksanen and Barry Rowlingson for your hints -
strwidth is useful!