[R] Text in Boxes?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 12:26:09 CEST 2005

It's probably a beginner's question:

How do I show text in boxes?
That is, can I specify a background color for text output with text() ?

The following doesn't work as I would expect:

text(labels="123", 50, 0.5, bg="green")

I've experimented with legend(),which will make the box too wide, and
also with rect(), which doesn't know the extent of the text shown.

The concrete application for this is are multiple time series shown
in different colors, and I'd like to show the boxed text (with the
appropriate colors) right next to (the maximum of) each time series
in the diagram. Color text is hard to read, so I'd like nice colored
boxes around black text.

Thanks for your help :)