[R] R for teaching multivariate statistics (Summary)

Murray Jorgensen maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz
Thu Oct 6 06:59:46 CEST 2005

Greetings all

I promised a summary of the responses that I got to my question:

"Next year I will be teaching a third year course in applied statistics
about 1/3 of which is multivariate statistics. I would be interested in
hearing experiences from those who have taught multivariate statistics
using R. Especially I am interested in the textbook that you used or
recommended."

There were not many replies, so my task is easy!

Peter Dunn mentioned the new book by Brian Everitt, "An R and S-Plus
Companion to Multivariate Analysis" which he had yet to see. Someone
else has it out on loan here so I have not seen it either.

Peter has been using Bryan Manly's book but finds that it is expensive
and describes different algorithms to those used in R.

Brian Ripley drew attention to Chapters 11 and 12 of MASS.

Pierre Bady pointed out the material on the website "Enseignements de
Statistique en Biologie" http://pbil.univ-lyon1.fr/R/enseignement.html
by A.B. Dufour, D. Chessel & J.R. Lobry. I hope to explore this some
more when I get back to higher bandwidth.

Pat Altham has a wealth of material on her web site, especially
http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~pat/misc.ps
and
http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~pat/AppMultNotes.ps.gz

Many thanks to these respondants for their help.

Murray Jorgensen
--
Dr Murray Jorgensen      http://www.stats.waikato.ac.nz/Staff/maj.html
Department of Statistics, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand