[R] Repeated measure Generalized Linear Mixed Model (glmm) ?

Jérôme Lemaître je_lemaitre at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 4 13:16:33 CEST 2005

Dear all,

I want to know the probability of dying in a trap as a function of habitat
variables for a metapopulation of voles sampled in 44 stations.
My dataset is as follow:
Station		tag number	dead	habitat1	habitat2
1		1		yes	20		26
1		2		no	20		26
2		3		no	15		16
..

As far as I know, I should use a mixed-model as:
glmmPQL<-(fixed = dead~habitat1+habitat2, random = ~1|station, family =
binomial) in the MASS library.
However, some vole individuals were recaptured (but it is not a study
designed for capture-mark-recapture!!!) therefore, I have for example, the
4th vole:
Station		tag number	dead	habitat1	habitat2
3		4		no	10		12
3		4		yes	10		12

Someone suggested me to use glmm with repeated measures with the number of
tag as the variable to repeat. Apparently, it is possible to do this in SAS.

QUESTIONS :
1) Is this also possible to do this in R, and if yes, could you please tell
me how?
2) Is this a valid way to analyse this data, and if not, could someone
please put me in the right way?

Thank you very very much to all in advance

Jérôme Lemaître

Étudiant au doctorat
Université Laval
Québec, QC  G1K 7P4