[R] gnomeGUI installation

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 3 19:01:58 CEST 2005

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Daniel Pick wrote:

>   I have successfully downloaded the sources and built R as a shared
> library on a Red Hat Enterprise Level 3 box.  I am now trying to build the
> GNOME GUI, but configure is barfing on glade.  According to the system
> logs, the RPM for libglade2-devel-2.0.1-3.x86_64 is installed, but in
> /usr/bin, where gnomeGUI configure is looking, what's there is
> libglade-convert.  How do I fix this?

By reading the manual.  In the R-admin manual it says

`Please check you have all the requirements.  You need at least the
following packages or later installed:

audiofile-0.2.1
esound-0.2.23
glib-1.2.10
gtk+-1.2.10
imlib-1.9.10
ORBit-0.5.12
gnome-libs-1.4.1.2
libxml-1.8.16
libglade-0.17

Remember that some package management systems (such as @acronym{RPM} and
deb) make a distinction between the user version of a package and the
developer version.  The latter usually has the same name but with the
extension @samp{-devel} or @samp{-dev}.  If you use a pre-packaged
version of @acronym{GNOME} then you must have the developer versions of
the above packages in order to compile the R-GNOME console.'

My FC3 box has

gannet% rpm -qa | grep ^libglade
libglade2-devel-2.4.0-5
libglade-devel-0.17-15
libglade2-2.4.0-5
libglade-0.17-15

and note that libglade2[-devel] is NOT a later version of libglade (in the
same way that gtk2 is different from gtk).

AFAICS it is likely that /usr/bin/libglade-config is provided by
libglade-devel-0.17-15.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk