[R] ACCESS R and dates

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 1 22:02:47 CEST 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, sloan jones wrote:

> I have used the RODBC package to read in data I have stored in an Access
> file. When I am using data from files other than ACCESS I have no
> problem using the survival package to work with dates; however, with the
> ACCESS data the dates are reading-in in the following format:
> "2004-02-11 Pacific Standard Time". How do I remove the "Pacific
> Standard Time" part in ACCESS or R so that I can coerce the data into a
> workable format?  Any suggestions?

If this really is a character vector and not the result of printing a
"Date" object, see ?strftime.  But you haven't told us anything like
enough to go on.

As far as I know the survival package expects numeric values (e.g. of days
or years) and not dates as implemented in R, except for survexp() which
wants a different format, that of the 'dates' package (which it partially
incorporates).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk