[R] R software on 64bit - Intel Xeon processor

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 29 21:43:48 CET 2005

You don't seem to know your OS spec, so how can we guess?
You chip can run various different OSes.  RH claim to have
RHEL4 for AMD64/EM64T, but not `for 64bit'.

Use uname -a.  If it mentions ix86 (for x=3,4,5,6 or perhaps 7) use that
RPM.  I expect it will mention x86_64.  In that case you may need to
install from the sources.  One way to do so is to install the SRPM,
rpmbuild that and then install it.  But building from the source tarball
is also a cinch, and will avoid RH's broken blas library (if you have that
installed).  The other advantage is that you can install the current
R-patched rather than R-2.2.0 and benefit from all the patches.

Of course, it is possible that RedHat has an RPM (they do for FC3 and
FC4), so have you checked their repositories?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk