[R] background computation, &

Marc Kirchner marc.kirchner at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Nov 28 14:38:42 CET 2005

Hey Koen,

> Is there a way to process R commands in the background other then using
> R in batch mode? I'm looking for the equivalent of the & operator on the
> *nix commandline.

Well, that's not R-specific, but what I do is to use "screen", which is
a handy little program that emulates multiple screens in one console.

So you start "screen", fire up R, work with it as usual; then with
Ctrl-a-d you can detach from the screen and do whatever you want
before reattaching with "screen -r".

More info with "man screen". :)

Best,
Marc

Dipl. Inform. Med. Marc Kirchner
Interdisciplinary Centre for Scientific Computing (IWR)
Multidimensional Image Processing
INF 368
University of Heidelberg
D-69120 Heidelberg