[R] anova.gls from nlme on multiple arguments within a function fails

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Nov 27 23:44:43 CET 2005

	  You've posed an excellent question with simple and elegant,
reproducible example.  I've seen no replies, so I will attempt a partial
response.  RSiteSearch("lexical scoping") produced some potentially
useful comments (e.g.,
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/37769.html), but nothing
that allowed me to work around the problem.

	  The following modification of your example makes it clear that
"anova.lme" (called by "anova.gls") choked on the second argument not
the first:

 > dummy2 <- function(obj)
+   {
+     obj2 <- obj[[2]]
+     anova(obj[[1]], obj2)
+   }
 > dummy2(list(fm1, fm2))
Error in anova.lme(object = obj[[1]], obj2) :
	object "obj2" not found

	  The following helped isolate this further to "dots <- list(...)", the
second line in "anova.lme":

debug(anova.lme)
dummy2(list(fm1, fm2))

	  I don't know why your example fails, especially "anova.lm" worked.
Also, there should be a way  to use something like "assign" to work
around this problem, but nothing I tried worked.

	  I know this is not a complete reply, but I hope it helps.
	  spencer graves

--
Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer