[R] read.table without sep

P Ehlers ehlers at math.ucalgary.ca
Fri Nov 25 20:29:29 CET 2005

Vasu,

You have a lot of problems here.

1. How was your file generated? Excel? You have trailing tabs on
all but row 1 which is why your read.table call with sep="\t"
gives you columns that don't seem to agree with what you expect.
See the argument row.names in ?read.table.

2. It's never a good idea to use colnames that begin with a digit.

3. read.table creates a _data frame_ for which data[i] would be
a data frame; your function does not accept data frames as input.
You probably want data[,i].

4. One-line 158-character function definitions with no spaces
are not exactly easy to read.

5. It's not clear whether you want the first column to be rownames
or data. R can handle both, but you need to tell it what to do.

6. ***** Best not to send such questions to R-devel. They have
nothing to do with the development of R.

Peter