[R] model selection with step function

Antonio Olinto aolinto_r at bignet.com.br
Fri Nov 25 12:47:38 CET 2005

Dear Ehlers, thanks for your message.

Following the example on stepAIC and Venebles & Ripley’s book, it seems that
update rearranges the terms. I didn’t understand how to indicate the formula in
the function.

I have the initial model U ~ var1+var2+var3+var4 (family Gaussian). I want first
to select the terms, putting main effects first. If I just write step(model) it
will take out no significant variables (lets say var2) and will give U ~
var1+var3+var4. Supposing the var4 have the “strongest” effect upon U, followed
by var1 and var3, I would like to have the out put U ~ var4+var1+var2.

Is it possible to do so?

Thanks again.

Antonio Olinto
Biologist
Sao Paulo Fisheries Institute

PS. Unfortunately I don’t have Regression Modeling Strategies around here