[R] type III sums of squares in R

Stefanie von Felten, IPW&IfU sfelten at uwinst.unizh.ch
Thu Nov 24 17:27:33 CET 2005

Hi everyone,

Can someone explain me how to calculate SAS type III sums of squares in
R? Not that I would like to use them, I know they are problematic. I
would like to know how to calculate them in order to demonstrate that
strange things happen when you use them (for a course for example). I
know you can use drop1(lm(), test="F") but for an lm(y~A+B+A:B), type
III SSQs are only calculated for the A:B interaction. If I specify
lm(y~A+B), it calculates type II SSQ for the main effects (as type III
only differs from type II if interactions are included). Thus, this
approach doesn't help.

Another approach is the Anova(, type="III") function within the
library(car). But somehow it produces strange results. Somebody told me
I have to change the contrast settings using
options(contrasts=c("contr.helmert", "contr.poly"))
 But I had the impression that my results are still impossible.
Are the calculations dependent from the version of R I use? I am
currently using R2.1.1

The only thing that seems to work is a trick: Specify a separate column
AB that codes a new variable for the interaction of A:B. Now you can fit
A,B, and AB (as 3 main effects) in 3 different sequential models with
each one of them in the end once. For the term in the end you then get
type III SSQ which seem to be correct.

Cheers
Steffi

--