[R] getting started, reading listing and saving data

Ronnie Babigumira r.babigumira at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:27:03 CET 2005

Many thanks to Peter Alspach, Jim Porzak and Murray Pung for the help.
Peter and Jim, head? and tail? was just what I needed to list a few
observations. Peter, thanks for pointing out str? to me. I totally
agree with you on its usefulness.

Murray thanks for file > save workspace (and Peters save.image)
addresses the third of my concerns

One last question related to head and tails, this works best if you
have a few variables (columns). Given more, how can I use the
information on the variable names given after str to list the first
few few observations for a set of variable.

To make it clear. Say I load a dataset with n variables named v1 to
vn. I use str(mydata) and I get a list of variable names..

str(x)
v1 ......
.  ......
.  ......
.  ......
.  ......
Vn ......

How do i list the first n observations of say v5 to v9

Many thanks

Ronnie