[R] Problem in compilation from source in./configure R.2.2

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 22 18:39:03 CET 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Pedro Cordeiro Estrela wrote:

> I tried to get old libraries (libreadline4) installed without success.

Why do you need that?  The configure test works correctly with the current
readline 5.0, which also needs ncurses.

What is `R.2.2'?  There is no such thing, and your line numbers do not
correspond to R 2.2.0.  But it is clear you are missing ncurses, on which
readline depends.  My guess is that you have not installed the
ncurses-devel rpm (on which the readline-devel one really should depend).

[...]

> What's inside config.log corresponding to the messages? These tests
> generally work by compiling and linking a small test program, and if
> that fails, you get the "no" part. However, sometimes the program
> fails for some other reason and the message becomes misleading.
>
> Here what's in the config.log file for the readline part.
> Thanks a lot!

[...]

> configure:21730: checking for main in -lncurses
> configure:21754: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c -lncurses   >&5
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses

seems clear enough.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk