[R] nlme question

Wassell, James T., Ph.D. jtw2 at CDC.GOV
Thu Nov 17 16:28:44 CET 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Wassell, James T., Ph.D.
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 9:40 AM
To: 'Deepayan Sarkar'
Subject: RE: nlme question

Deepayan,

Thanks for your interest.   It's difficult in email but I need the
variance of Kappa = mu + 1.645*tau + 1.645* sigma

Just using the standard variance calculation Var(K) = Var(mu) +
(1.645)^2 * Var(tau) + 1.645^2 * var(sigma) + [three covariance terms
with constant multipliers].

So, I can get var(mu) [or actually the standard error] from the summary
function -- and var(tau) and var(sigma) using the VarCorr function, but
I still need the covariance terms.

I am trying to duplicate methods in a paper by Nicas & Neuhaus,
"Variability in Respiratory Protection and the Assigned Protection
Factor"  J. Occ & Environ Health, Feb. 2004.   p 99-109.  (see eqn. 12).

The authors used Proc Mixed, but I can't figure out how to get
covariance terms with SAS either.

Thanks again.

Terry Wassell