[R] Robust Non-linear Regression

Ruben Roa RRoa at fisheries.gov.fk
Mon Nov 14 12:00:06 CET 2005

I do not know about in-built robustness options in R but I have found that
Dave Fournier's robust likelihood for nonlinear regression in ADMB does
a pretty good job in detecting and counter-acting the influence of outliers
(in my applications this has been used to counter-act the effect of reading
errors in determination of the age of fish based on rings in bones).
It relies on a likelihood function based on a mixture of a normal and another
distribution with fatter tails. You can find the documentation in the ADMB manual
at the ADMB website: http://otter-rsch.com/admodel.htm
Ruben