[R] undefined symbol in grDevices.so

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 11 09:09:32 CET 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Juan Pablo Romero wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to use rpy with latest R (2.2.0), but unfortunately it
> seems there is some kind of undefined symbol in grDevices.so
> (utf8locale)

It is defined in libR.so which is presumably what 'rpy' uses (you haven't
said what rpy is), provided R was built with --enable-mbcs (the default if
there is enough OS support - another thing you failed to mention was your
OS).

gannet% nm -pg lib/libR.so | grep utf8locale
001ef824 B utf8locale

Look like your rpy installation is mixed up.  I presume R itself runs, in
which case I suspect rpy is pointing at the wrong libR.so.  Maybe it needs
updating for current R?

Suggestion: ask programming questions on R-devel as the posting guide
says, and send 'rpy' questions to the maintainer (as the posting guide
says), or its mailing list (if it is the project on Sourceforge, it has
one).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk