[R] How to find statistics like that.

Ruben Roa RRoa at fisheries.gov.fk
Thu Nov 10 13:24:17 CET 2005

--------
Hi:
A statistic is any real-valued or vector-valued function whose
domain includes the sample space of a random sample. The
p-value is a real-valued function and its domain includes the
sample space of a random sample. The p-value has a sampling
distribution. The code below, found with Google ("sampling distribution
of the p-value" "R command") shows the sampling
distribution of the p-value for a t-test of a mean when the null hypothesis
is true.
Ruben

n<-18
mu<-40
pop.var<-100
n.draw<-200
alpha<-0.05
draws<-matrix(rnorm(n.draw * n, mu, sqrt(pop.var)), n)
get.p.value<-function(x) t.test(x, mu = mu)$p.value
pvalues<-apply(draws, 2, get.p.value)
hist(pvalues)
sum(pvalues <= alpha)
[1] 6