[R] Order of terms in a model specification...

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 10 08:18:43 CET 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 11/9/2005 3:48 PM, Oliver Lyttelton wrote:
>>
>> Sorry for this one as its pretty basic but I've taken a look for info and
>> couldn't find any...

The only reasonably comprehensive account of this of which I am aware is
in Chapter 6 of MASS (the book).  That is for S, and there are S/R
differences (not all of which I suspect any one person is aware off).

>> My question is, does the order of main effect terms in a model specification
>> have any impact on the model R fits or not. (in particular when using lm).
>> ie
>>
>> Can A~X+Y+Z lead to different results to A~Z+Y+X, and if so in what
>> circumstances, and how much should I worry about it?

Depemds what you mean by `different results'.   It will specify the same
model subspace, but not the same basis vectors for that space.

Collinearity is one example, as Duncan points out.  Factors with no
intercept are another, so A + B - 1 and B + A - 1 will be different
representations in A and B are factors.

Interactions introduce futher complications. Note that unless you jump
though hoops, the model-fitting does reorder terms in a formula (see the
keep.order argument to terms.formula). Under some circumstances the order
in which interactions are specified (A:B vs B:A) can matter.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk