[R] pdf device and TeXencoding?

ivo welch ivo_welch at brown.edu
Mon Nov 7 20:16:44 CET 2005

Dear R wizards:

[a] I believe that the pdf device does not yet fully support TeXencoding.  (under R-2.2.0, the pdf file created with Textext as font encoding still dies when post-processed by ghostscript.)  are there any workarounds, or are there utilities that would allow a TeXencoded font to be re-encoded/converted into ISOLatin, perhaps, which R could then handle beautifully?

[b] is there a way to use an arbitrary postscript font and position it into a ps or pdf graphic (i.e., without it being in the family {5 fonts} that I am using for the main drawing)?  in a weird latex/R mix, my intent is something like

	pdf(file="test.pdf");
	plot( c(0,1),c(0,1) );
	test.font = fontis("postscriptfont.pfb");  # may need a tfm specification, too?
	text( 0.5, 0.5, fontobject("some text", test.font));
	dev.off();

help would be highly appreciated, as always.

sincerely,

/ivo welch