[R] nlme error message

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Nov 7 17:49:21 CET 2005

p.s.  You may also find useful the process I followed to diagnose this
problem.

	  1.  I copied your example into R and confirmed that I could replicate
the error.

	  2.  I read the documentation, invoked debug, and tried different
things to isolate the problem.  For example, I listed the code for
corCompSymm.  The documentation led me to "Initialize(cs)", which gave
me the same error message.

	  3.  Ultimately, I found in Pinhiero and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects
Models for S and S-Plus (Springer) an example that looked exactly like
yours but did NOT produce the same error message to "Initialize".  By
comparing the example that worked with the superficially identical case
that didn't, I found the difference.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves

#######################
	  You need repeated measures for a random effect to make any sense.  I
modified your example as follows, and the error went away.

> mytable$RIL2 <- rep(1:4, 1:4)
> cs2 <- corCompSymm(value=0.5, form=~1|RIL2)
> model2<-lme(mytrait~myloc, data=mytable, random=~1|RIL2,
+             correlation=cs2)

	  (I've made similar mistakes and had great difficulty finding the
problem.)

	  spencer graves

J.Fu wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I am seeking for any help on an error message in lme
> functions. I use mixed model to analyze a data with
> compound symmetric correlation structure. But I get an
> error message: "Error in corMatrix.corCompSymm(object) :
> NA/NaN/Inf in foreign function call (arg 1)". If I change
> the correlation structure to corAR1, then no error. I have
> no clue how to solve this problem. I would highly
> appreciate any help.
> Thanks in advance and looking forward to any help.
>
> JY
>

> I attached my data and codes here:
>
> # data: mytable
>           mytrait myloc RIL
> A1 0.590950330 0 1
> A2 -0.315469846 -1 2
> A3 -0.265690115 0 3
> A4 0.342885046 0 4
> A5 0.007613402 1 5
> A6 0.285997884 0 6
> A7 0.333841975 0 7
> A8 -0.599817735 -1 8
> A9 0.242621036 0 9
> A10 0.518959588 1 10
>
> cs<-corCompSymm(0.5, form=~1|RIL, fixed=T)
> model<-lme(mytrait~myloc, data=mytable, random=~1|RIL,
> na.action=na.omit, correlation=cs)
>
> Error in corMatrix.corCompSymm(object) : NA/NaN/Inf in
> foreign function call (arg 1)

Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer
PDF Solutions, Inc.