[R] information matrix in random effects model

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Nov 6 20:34:46 CET 2005

	  If you walk through the code line by line, you can probably find what
you want, then make relatively simple changes to the code so these
things are exported.  However, it may not be easy to use, because you
need to understand the parameterization.  To obtain that, you may need
to study the code more carefully.  It may also help to study Pinheiro
and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-PLUS (Springer) and
some of Bates' more recent publications cited in the help files in the
nlme and lme4 packages.

	  What problem are you trying to solve?  Hessian matrices are most
useful for normal approximations, which are however sometimes not very
good.  Better approximations are obtained from profile likelihood, and
even better ones are available from Monte Carlo.  If you'd like more
help from this list, you might increase your chances of getting a quick,
useful reply by considering the suggestions in the posting guide,
"www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves

--