[R] dataTable manipulation in R

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Sun Nov 6 18:59:04 CET 2005

Adai,

I suspect that Xiaofan was looking for the use of a function like
subset(), which of course does enable one to specify filtering criteria
and return a subset of rows in a data frame that satisfy the criteria.

I am presuming that the SQL reference was more towards using SQL
Select/Where type statements within a database as an example, as opposed
to wanting to query a SQL database from within R.

Xiaofan, see ?subset for more information. The function will also let
you specify a subset of columns using the 'select' argument.

In addition to subset(), there is also the use of [.data.frame, which
will enable you to specify criteria using the typical "[row, column]"
extraction approach. See ?"[.data.frame" for more information.

Which approach is taken is to some extent personal preference. I find it
easier to use subset() when the criteria are more complex boolean
expressions and/or where I only want a subset of the columns.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz