[R] OLS variables

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Nov 6 14:27:27 CET 2005

Dear Leaf,

I assume that you're using lm() to fit the model, and that you don't really
want *all* of the interactions among 20 predictors: You'd need quite a lot
of data to fit a model with 2^20 terms in it, and might have trouble
interpreting the results.

If you know which interactions you're looking for, then why not specify them
directly, as in lm(y ~  x1*x2 + x3*x4*x5 + etc.)? On the other hand, it you
want to include all interactions, say, up to three-way, and you've put the
variables in a data frame, then lm(y ~ .^3, data=DataFrame) will do it.
There are many terms in this model, however, if not quite 2^20.

The introductory manual that comes with R has information on model formulas
in Section 11.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox