[R] Problem with installing home-made package under Windoze.

Rolf Turner rolf at math.unb.ca
Sat Nov 5 22:35:59 CET 2005

I am using/trying to use R 2.2.0.

I have created a package of ``supplementary'' time series functions
for use by my students in a time series course.  The package involves
only raw R code; no dynamic loading to complicate matters.  I need to
install this package in a location on a local area network where the
students can access it under Windoze.

In the past I learned that I could do this by:

	o installing the package under Linux
	o changing directories to the local library
	o executing

		zip -r9l ts.sup.zip ts.sup

	o uploading the resulting ts.sup.zip file to a convenient
	  Windoze-running machine

	o excuting

	  > install.packages("ts.sup.zip",repos=NULL,lib="L:/statdata/Rlib")

	the value of the ``lib'' argument being a location in the LAN
	where I have write permission and which is accessible by the
	students.

In the past this worked.  Now when I try this I get the error message

	``Error in .readRDS(pfile) : cannot read workspace version
	  167772160 written by R 512.2.2; need R 0.1.4 or newer''

I experimented with other small locally built packages and got the
same phenomenon.  Then I tried installing a package from CRAN
choosing to install ``aaMI'' just because it was first on the
list.  Got the same error message.

I tried firing up R version 2.1.1, which is still around.  Strangely,
this allowed me to install ``aaMI'' from CRAN, but threw up the same
error message when I tried to install from local zip files.

This is very frustrating --- I'm trying to install an updated package
with some bugs removed and new facilities added.  Can anyone suggest
what might be causing the problem and how I might fix it?

				cheers,

					Rolf Turner
					rolf at math.unb.ca