[R] Stress in multidimensional scaling

Dave Roberts droberts at montana.edu
Fri Nov 4 21:55:21 CET 2005

cmdscale calculates an eigenanalysis of the dissimilarity matrix, and
does not employ "stress" per se.  Rather, it attempts to maximize
variability along axes.

If you call the the cmdscale() function with "eig=TRUE" it returns a
list object with the coordinates called "points" and the eigenvalues
called "eig".  Accordingly, if you have an object returned from cmdscale
you can look at the dimensionality of the solution with

 > x <- cmdscale(dissim.matrix,eig=TRUE)
 > barplot(x$eig)

If you really want "stress" you should use the isoMDS() function from
MASS which performs nonmetric multi-dimensional scaling, and does
directly employ stress.

You might also want to look at functions metaMDS in package vegan, and
nmds in package labdsv.  There is a page at

http://ecology.msu.montana.edu/labdsv/R/lab7/lab7.html

and

http://ecology.msu.montana.edu/labdsv/R/lab8/lab8.html

that attempts to explain this.