[R] random forests and memory allocation

Kim Anh Lê Cao kim at germinal.toulouse.inra.fr
Fri Nov 4 17:25:55 CET 2005

Dear all,

I am trying to run a random forest on a 4-class dataset with 10 215 variables.
Whatever the number of trees (I was thinking of combining the trees), I
first got the error on Windows:

Error: cannot allocate vector of size 407562 Kb
In addition: Warning messages:
1: Reached total allocation of 511Mb: see help(memory.size)
2: Reached total allocation of 511Mb: see help(memory.size)

We did then try on linux on a super calculator with 130 Go of RAM and 68
processors of 1.5Ghz each.

We then got the following error:
Error: protect(): protection stack overflow
Execution halted

Is there anything that can be done to run this random forest ? In the
?Startup I did not understand how to increase the stack size...

Regards,

Kim-Anh