[R] How to calculate errors in histogram values

Kilian Hagemann hagemann1 at egs.uct.ac.za
Thu Nov 3 14:15:31 CET 2005

Hi there,

I'm new to R but I thought this is the most likely place I could get advice or
hints w.r.t the following problem:

I have a series of measurements xi with associated uncertainties dxi. I would
like to construct the probability density histogram of this data where each
density estimate has an associated error that is derived from the dxi. In
other words, for large dxi the histogram should also display large
uncertainties and vice versa. I need this for a curve fitting algorithm.

I have seen many crude ways of working out the error in each bin based on the
bin count alone, but that's obviously independent of the dxi and thus not
what I'm after.

So,

1) Is there an R package that can do this (there's nothing in the refence of
2.1.1)? If so, what algorithm does it use?

2) Could anybody please point me in the right direction (papers, books,
websites etc.)

Thanks,

--
Kilian Hagemann