[R] Null space (or kernel) and image of a matrix

Huntsinger, Reid reid_huntsinger at merck.com
Tue May 31 16:01:52 CEST 2005

The null space or kernel of a matrix A would be the subspace of vectors v
such that Av = 0. That is, it's the solution space of a homogeneous linear
system of equations whose coefficients are the rows of A. R implements many
ways to solve such systems. The image is the set of vectors of the form Av
as v ranges over all vectors, which is the same as the span of the columns
of A, aka the column space of A. You can reduce this to a basis or transform
it to an orthogonal basis. Have a look at a linear algebra book to get an
idea for the possibilities.

Reid Huntsinger