[R] Errors in Variables

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun May 29 15:03:29 CEST 2005

Dear Spencer,

The reason that I didn't respond to the original posting (I'm the author of
the sem package), that that without additional information (such as the
error variance of x), a model with error in both x and y will be
underidentified (unless there are multiple indicators of x, which didn't
seem to be the case here). I figured that what Jacob had in mind was
something like minimizing the least (orthogonal) distance of the points to
the regression line (implying by the way that x and y are on the same scale
or somehow standardized), which isn't doable with sem as far as I'm aware.

Regards,
 John

John Fox
Department of Sociology