[R] Round a line

Earl F. Glynn efg at stowers-institute.org
Fri May 27 16:13:16 CEST 2005

"Luis Ridao Cruz" <Luisr at frs.fo> wrote in message
news:s2971f09.052 at ffdata.setur.fo...
> R-help,
>
> I have lloked in the archives found no answer to how to round the line
> joint.
>
> I have usedthe arguments lnd, ljoin in par but I get no differences in
> the plotting.
>
> x=1:10
> par(ljoin="round",lend="round")
> plot(x,sin(x),type="l",lwd=2)

On my Windows 2000 machine using R 2.1.0, par()$ljoin and par()$lend are
already "round" by default.  The par()$lmitre parameter is 10,

Paul Murrell's article "Fonts, lines, and transparency ..." in R News 4/2
(Sept 2004) gives some clues under "The end of the line":
http://cran.stat.auckland.ac.nz/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2004-2.pdf

"All lines are drawn using a particular style for line ends and joins,
though the difference only becomes obvious when lines become thick."

Is it possible that with par()$lmitre at 10, and a lwd=2, you won't see any
difference?

efg