[R] rotate pie chart

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu May 26 19:14:15 CEST 2005

    >> I think you have to get your hands dirty on this one, but it's not too
    >> hard.  Here's a function pie90() which is a tiny modification of pie().
    >> Does that do the trick?
    >>

    Kati> Yes, it works perfectly fine, at least for what I
    Kati> wanted... :) Thanks a lot, to Lars for asking, and
    Kati> to Paul for getting your hands dirty!

    Kati> Kati

    Kati> PS: I know one shouldn't use pie charts at all... :)

yes, indeed, really!

    Kati> but if I do so, is there a reason why they work
    Kati> counter-clockwise in R? Is that convention?  Sorry
    Kati> if its a silly question, my intuition (which might
    Kati> very likely be horrible) just expected them to start
    Kati> at 12 o'clock and fill the pie clockwisely.

you see how very tired I must be at the moment; otherwise I
wouldn't spend time for this (a function that shouldn't be used),
but anyway I did....

I've worked on Paul's pie90() and on Kati's extra-wish
to produce a version of standard pie() that allows Kati and Lars
(and whoever) to produce  pie()s  starting at an arbitrary angle and
go clockwise instead of the usual ``mathematically positive''
direction.

Look for this (+ documentation) in a few days "in R-devel".
Martin