[R] reading multiple files

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed May 25 10:05:43 CEST 2005

Dave Evens wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> How do I read in multiple data frames or matrices in a
> loop, e.g.
>
> for (i in 1:n) {
>    channel <- odbcConnectExcel("filenames")
>    file[i] <- as.data.frame(sqlFetch(channel,
> "sheet"))
> }
>
> I would like file[i] to be the name of the data.frame
> (i.e. file[1], file[2], file[3],...etc) rather than a
> vector.

The terminology you are using re. R objects seems to be rather confused.

Quite probably you want a list of data frames such as using the
filenames as names for the list elements along the follwoing lines:

library(RODBC)
dataframes <- vector(mode="list", length=length(filenames))
names(dataframes) <- filenames
for(i in filenames){
   channel <- odbcConnectExcel(i)
   dataframes[[i]] <- sqlFetch(channel, "sheet")
   close(channel)
}

Uwe Ligges