SV: [R] Documentation of S3 and S4 classes, inheritance

Søren Højsgaard Soren.Hojsgaard at agrsci.dk
Tue May 24 00:31:11 CEST 2005

I am sure that I do not have the answer to your question - but I would like to add to your views regarding the S4-issue. I've been involved in the gRbase package for graphical modelling in R. The first version was implemented in S4 but now we have made a roll-back to using S3 methods.

While, I can see that S3 is not really comprehensive enough for 'proper' object oriented programming it certainly has other virtues. One such is the documentation: There are 1-2 pages to read, thats it - and you are up and running!! Plain, easy and simple. One of the things that S3 is lacking is clearly multiple inheritance, and that is, as I understand it, a feature of S4. Another feature of S4 is, again as I understand things (apologies if I am wrong) that objects are protected from being altered (in terms of adding new slots etc). Again a very nice feature...

There are, however, several problems with S4. The first is 'how to find documentation about it'? Sure, the green book by Chambers is a reference, but really what I am missing is a 5-page document saying 'this is how you should do it'. I claim that most package developers are statisticians who want to share their work with others - not computer scientists with strong views about developments of formal languages. Another issue we came across when working with the gRbase package was that it was too 'painful' to integrate existing S3 code into an S4 package. (Surely, some people could be tempted to reply to this as 'yes, but you should write everything in S4 anyway - sorry, but you'll have to start all over again...' However, such views could be dangerous to the whole 'R-open-source-half-way-anarchistic-philosophy' as I see it). I would expect that it would be possible to improve S3 in a simpler way - perhaps S3.5 could be an option..

My first experience with statistical computing was with xlisp-stat which has a very nice (as I remember it) object system which is well explained in Luke Tierneys book. I wonder if that could serve as an inspiration for anyone who is interested in writing an 'S4 for dummies'...

Best regards
Søren Højsgaard