[R] Maps, Eastern Europe

Rau, Roland Rau at demogr.mpg.de
Sun May 22 17:08:01 CEST 2005

Dear all,

I would like to employ a European map in a presentation. My idea was to
use:
library(mapdata)
map("worldHires", c("Austria", "Switzerland", "Germany"))

where I include all countries from my analysis as a vector of character
strings like in the example above. Unfortunately, I was unable to
specify the Baltic States (Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia) or the Czech
Republic.
Initially, I thought I misspelled the country names. To avoid this
obvious error, I checked within 'mapdata_2.0-14.tar.gz' the file
'worldHires.names'. To my surprise, the spelling was not the source of
the error - it was rather the case that those countries were not
included.

Did some people experience similar problems? And if yes: how did you
proceed?

Thanks,
Roland

P.S. my version of R is: R 2.1.0 on WinXP

+++++
This mail has been sent through the MPI for Demographic Rese...{{dropped}}