[R] R annoyances

Taylor, Z Todd todd.taylor at pnl.gov
Fri May 20 23:37:56 CEST 2005

On Friday, May 20, 2005 11:29 AM, Jari Oksanen wrote:

> The most beautiful thing in old R (I started with 0.63) was
> that it was
> in the elegant unix tradition: all lower case and point (full stop,
> period, whatever) in places where you needed it. It is
> unfortunate that
> other languages are creeping in and old neat constructions
> are replaces
> with C++ style uGliNess. There was a grace period when switching from
> beautiful (fair) print.coefmat to ugLy printCoefmat, but some changes
> were more abrupt (package.description). I have a feeling that the
> recent trashing of names.dist (with a lot of code breakage
> even in base
> R) was caused by the same kind of political correctness.
>
> Please Mr R, keep it like it used to be...

BecauseIt'sFridayI'llJoinIntoThisTiredOldDebate.TheUseOfMixedCase
UglinessToDistinguishBetween"Words"InObjectNamesIsIndeedAn
Abomination.

It_is_much_easier,_and_demonstrably_so_I_would_say,_to_use
some_kind_of_real_separator_between_"words."

S.and.R.have.historically.encouraged.a.different.separator
than.most.other.languages,.but.the.principle.is.the.same.

And the double benefit is that it leaves case available for
other good uses, such as indicating an object's scope:

    local.var
    Class.Data
    GLOBAL.SETTING

--Todd