[R] R annoyances

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu May 19 21:10:53 CEST 2005

Dear Jan,

Since you can use variables named c, q, or t in any event, I don't see why
the existence of functions with these names is much of an impediment.

The problem that I see with T and F is that allowing them to be redefined
sets a trap for people. If R wants to discourage use of T and F for TRUE and
FALSE, then why provide standard global variables by these names? On the
other hand, if providing T and F is considered desirable (e.g., for S-PLUS
compatibility), then why not make them reserved names?

Regards,
 John

John Fox
Department of Sociology