[R] R annoyances

Wiener, Matthew matthew_wiener at merck.com
Thu May 19 16:49:12 CEST 2005

(a) If what you're trying to do is just apply exp, or any other element-wise
function, you can just say "exp(mtx)".  You avoid both "apply" and the
transpose, and save time in the bargain.  If your actual function really
does depend on multiple elements, it may be a little more complicated.  You
could conceivably write a "myapply" function to do the apply followed by the
transpose, but then of course you still need to keep track of which way
you're going.

(b) You want to look into the "drop = FALSE" option:
Sub.mtx <- mtx[,1,drop = FALSE]

Hope this helps,

Matt Wiener