[R] lattice plots question

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu May 19 11:38:59 CEST 2005

    Sundar> Laura Holt wrote:
    >> Dear R People:
    >>
    >> Is there any way to have the background of lattice plots be white
    >> instead of grey, please?
    >>
    >> This is not a criticism by any means...the lattice stuff is UNbelievable!

indeed, it is!

    Sundar> See ?trellis.par.set or ?trellis.device. Lattice
    Sundar> themes are what you are looking for.

    Sundar> e.g.

    Sundar> library(lattice)
    Sundar> trellis.device(windows, theme = col.whitebg())
    Sundar> xyplot(0 ~ 0)

If, instead of line 2, you use
    trellis.device(theme = col.whitebg())

i.e., don't specify the device explicitly, you have solution that is
portable {across platforms} : The device chosen will depend if
you are in interactive or batch mode {which is good!} and
in interactive mode will use 'windows', 'x11' , or 'quartz'
depending on your platform --- as a matter of fact, it will be
what you also get by  getOption("device")
and you can change by  options(device = "myfavoriteDevice")

    Sundar> You can also create your own themes, which I find extremely useful:

indeed!

    Sundar>  sundar.theme <- function() {

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich